View our open positions
The Board of Directors of the Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (AICUM) in Massachusetts is accepting nominations and applications for the position of President/CEO of the Association.
AICUM is a non-profit membership organization, founded in 1968, representing 61 independent colleges and universities in Massachusetts. Its mission is to be the public policy voice for independent higher education in the Commonwealth.
AICUM fulfills dual roles as the sector’s advocate with the legislative and executive branches of government; as the liaison for public policy and research; and as a coordinating body for relations with the Massachusetts Board of Higher Education and other pertinent state agencies. Vitally, AICUM brings together member institutions to create opportunities, to share best practices, and to take collective action on issues of importance to higher education. AICUM also interacts on behalf of the state’s independent sector with state associations representing relevant economic sectors within the Commonwealth as well as with the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities, the American Council on Education, and all other national organizations representing higher education.
The annual budget of the organization is approximately $1.7M and covers a staff of four including the president. The AICUM office is located in Belmont, MA.
Outstanding candidates for this position will give evidence of:
- A commitment to the mission of independent higher education.
- A successful leadership role in past and current positions.
- The-ability to communicate effectively with college and university presidents individually and with internal and external constituencies at state and national levels.
- An understanding of issues facing independent colleges and universities in Massachusetts and the nation.
- Knowledge of how public policy is developed, articulated and promoted, and intimate knowledge of and successful experience with the legislative process.
- Strong management skills.
- Baccalaureate degree required; a related graduate degree preferred.
The search is being coordinated through member institution, Springfield College. The full position profile is available at www.aicum.org. Inquiries, nominations and application materials can be sent to email@example.com. AICUM is committed to enhancing diversity and equity and welcomes candidates from all backgrounds and lived experiences, who will contribute to a culture of inclusion and respect. The position is open until filled, with applications received by January 11, 2021 assured the fullest consideration. A start date of June 1, 2021 is expected.
Search Committee Members
Springfield College (Chair)
Worcester Polytechnic Institute (Ex-Officio)
ROBERT A. BROWN
William James College
Western New England University